Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Toddler Alert

Big changes are happening with our toddler here. 

Playgroup
I am getting anxious if we should send her to a playgroup since it is a trend these days for early learning and most kids in town are doing so, plus this can also be my 'me time' when toddler Zara is away, and my blah blah goes on. Hence, I started checking from Department of Education the upcoming playgroup in our area. Many thanks to expat magazines for updating parents about international schools and top kids school in town. All this information makes us identify our priorities for a toddler school. 

1. The type of educational approach e.g. Montessori (which my parents enrolled me at age 4), kindergarten preschool educational approach, Heguru or Shichida method 

2. Location (in consideration of travel time and weather conditions - rain or haze period)

3. length of class time 

4. the fees and total cost 

5. teacher skills (background and experience) 

Sleeping habits
These days she sleeps entire afternoon from 2 to 6pm making her bedtime midnight and waking time at 10am following day. Ideally, I would like to set toddler Zara morning waking time latest 8am and nap time before lunch or a little after lunch time then play time from 5pm and bedtime at 9pm - this is work in  progress mode.

Toilet training
I am pretty old school in this case. As soon as toddler Zara wakes up in the morning, I would direct her to the toilet and make her sit in her child potty chair while I sit on the toilet lid cover. I would make this pee pee sound and talk to her reminding her to do pee pee now. If nothing comes out of it, I tell her 'later we will try again' and ask her to wash hands now before leaving the toilet. When she finally does, I would praise her, 'Good job Zara, look, that's your pee pee, now mommy will flush and clean your pee pee chair' then ask her to wash hands - this too I use the foaming hand soap so she gets interested in bubbles and wash nicely. During this time I do not use diaper. Wherever she pee or poop (she would be standing somewhere amazed and disgusted), I show her what she produced and tell her what was it and advise her that she should pee or poop in the toilet (in 3 days she will get the idea of what you're trying to teach). This procedure was done in 7 days! Zara is in the stage where she pulls my hand to the toilet for pee or poop. She wants to be left alone when its poop and she will call me when she is done. 

Clothing preferences
The day your toddler pick her socks and shirt to wear is actually an amazing time. She gets to appreciate her appearance by showing off a Peppa Pig character in her tee or a nice pink dress. 

Favorites
This time toddler Zara picks french fries over banana that she used to love. Eating alphabet soup versus oats. It is a challenge to prepare a meal that is delicious and nutritious at the same time, since Zara has Cows Milk Protein Allergy it is important for me to serve her fresh food with no dairy ingredients and milk. 

Teething
Expect slight fever and biting. Zara baby's teeth are coming one after another so sometimes she gets moody and does not want to chew or bite. I brush her teeth first while I sing a rhyme - this is the way we brush our teeth! Then after that I show her how I brush my teeth. 

Physical Developments
Toddler Zara now likes to push chairs around, climb playground levels, screams, laugh loud, race to one point to another, swimming with the toy ducks, loves to blow bubbles, do slide and seesaw. 

Habit forming
Before going to sleep I bring out two books for me to read to her (just browse pages if she lacks interest) or she can play around with. I saw videos where toddlers can speak words by showing them flashcards. I did a little experiment with Zara and we're happy to share with you our little achievement: 










No comments:

Labels